Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Everest Calling - Dingboche to Lobuche


The trek from Dingboche to Lobuche is becoming too painful and laborious because of dearth of oxygen. And the dearth of oxygen is becoming obvious by my becoming out of breath.

The empty bag I am carrying is hurting my shoulders. Nandu has been most helpful. I asked him for those energy chomps which he had been offering me earlier and I had been refusing. Nothing really helped. I had to get used to it eventually.

Walking in the snow to Lobuche was not at all bad. I was still in a position to take out my camera and shoot. That means all was well.

Everyone is counting days before they will reach their cities and resume normal lives. 7 more days… 6 more days… only one or two want to come back to go to Chola pass and Gokyo. Surprisingly they aren’t counting days before they will stand in front of Everest.

Having seen the altitude of 5000 meters by now, having seen what it means to get there, I will count it among the accomplishments of my life.

The job of a porter is the toughest job in the world. Or so it felt when we saw them. They carry more than 50 kilos on their back and march uphill. Gas cylinders, luggage, wooden planks, sacks…they carry all kinds of things.

Haldiram snacks are a delicacy. Everyone wants to snatch them from one another’s hands – Alu Bhujia, Moong Dal.

I am tired and sleep deprived. But I want to see both EBC and Kala Patthar.

































No comments: