Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Lalbagh Flower Show Jan 09


The flower show at Lalbagh happens twice a year. Mid August (Independence Day) and Late Jan (Republic Day). The show lasts about a week.
I did go to Lalbagh in Aug 08. I think it was towards the end of the show that I visited the place. The flowers did not look fresh and since it was a weekend, the place was crowded.

This time, I went on a weekday, having informed my lead at work that I would come to office by noon. A group from Mysore had organized the show this time. It was indeed different from the arrangement last time. A major part of the arrangement was theme based and the flowers were not packed closely unlike last time but arranged in patterns such that you could see each arrangement distinctly. The theme was Krishna’s story.

I can’t stop being amazed at the infinite capacity of human beings for being creative and original. It’s surprising how, after living in this world for thousands of years and having perpetually created art and beauty of all forms, man has not exhausted his creative capacity!




This has been made out of banana leaves...


This section is based on the theme of Krishna's story. His birth in the prison, the matkas or pots filled with butter...



Govardhana parvatha episode...

This is raas lila...




Kalingamardhana... what an idea!!


Shishupala Samhara...

Sudhama's house...



Thats supposed to be a peacock...



Veena...









Thats the globe.. Peace...No War..


Ah! What roses... white petals with a tinge of blue...









16 comments:

Satish said...

on seeing the photos of flower show.... remember a verse

Kamale Kamalotpattihi
Na shruyate Na cha drushyate
Bale tavamukhambhoje
Kamale Kamalotpatthihi


P.S. : please forgive grammatical and semantical errors if any

Pramod Shankar said...

Wow! what awesome pictures. I felt like I had taken a walk in the park myself. We often forget the language of nature, and how powerful and vibrant it could be; we get caught up in the language of the man-made world. the Flower Show perhaps signals a return to a more natural idiom athat's all around us.

Sowmya Chakravarthy said...

Satish,

please do explain the meaning of the verse... :)

Pramod,

Thanks for the compliment...flowers, beauty, nature and everything apart, I am proud of my camera... :)

Satish said...

A lotus blooms within a lotus. I have never heard of anything like this nor seen anything like this. Oh lady, after seeing your face i have realised that a lotus has blossomed in a lotus

Pretty pics i must say!!!

Sowmya Chakravarthy said...

I assume you are praising me and not just the flowers :-)
Thanks. Correct me if I am mistaken.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Kid in a candy store ;)

Sowmya Chakravarthy said...

Or Alice in Wonderland! :)

BTW, who is this??

Anonymous said...

Make an wildest guess....you will be right on me ;) By the way you have only one chance to guess. and after you figure out, give me a call.

Sowmya Chakravarthy said...

Tried.... but no success :( Tell me na...

Satish said...

When the blog is named Narcissist, can i be praising any one else :) :)

Sowmya Chakravarthy said...

Oooooo.......... I am flattered... :)

Anonymous said...

kamale kamalotpattihi,
shruyate na cha drushyate,
baale tava mukhaambhoje,
kamale kamalotpattihi.

idu kaviratna kaalidasa chalana chitradalli baruva ondu sannivesha dalli iruva ondu ogatina uttara.

idara artha, hey baaleye, kamaladantiruva ninna sundaravaada mukhaaravindadalli, kamalagalante ninna yeradu kannugalu iruvudannu nodidare, kamalada olage kamala aralidante toruttade yendu.

Anonymous said...

Hello all the verse is not complete
********************************
Kamale Kamalothpattihi
Na Shruyathe Na cha Drushyathe !
Baale TavamukhamBhoje
Drushtanindi varaswayam !!
********************************

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typo
********************************
Kamale Kamalothpattihi
Na Shruyathe Na cha Drushyathe !
Baale TavamukhamBhoje
Drushtanindi varadwayam !!
********************************

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typo
********************************
Kamale Kamalothpattihi
Na Shruyathe Na cha Drushyathe !
Baale TavamukhamBhoje
Drushtanindi varadwayam !!
********************************

Unknown said...

I think you missed the last line, Drushtamindi varadvayam.